12+ Best Free Market Research Tools for Every Marketing Campaign
With the right market research tool, we can identify a product’s opportunity and assess whether a pre-launch product has a good effect.
It can be said that a market research tool supports businesses in all crucial segments, including product launch to end. It helps the company learn completely new trends, consumer behaviors, and unlimited business opportunities. An effective market research tool helps businesses better understand current market trends, competitors, customer spending habits, and economic demographics.
- What is Market Research?
- How to do product research for Shopify
- Marketing Research Process
- 9+ Best Dropshipping Product Research Tools
- 15+ Best Online Survey Tools for Business
Hence, check out list of top market research tools if you plan on having the best available in the market.
12 Best Free Market Research Tools
- 1. Google Trends
- 2. Social Mention
- 3. Quora
- 4. Statista
- 5. Google Analytics
- 6. SurveyMonkey
- 7. Google Keyword Planner
- 8. Crayon
- 9. Keyhole
- 10. MakeMyPersona
- 11. Think With Google
- 12. Pew Research Center
1. Google Trends
Google Trends is a free tool from Google that allows users to see keyword search statistics. Then, this tool will display a table comparing the keyword trends over time in each country.
Google Trends will display the metrics in graph form over time, so users know when a keyword’s interest level increases or decreases. This chart is useful to the user when researching the prevalence of a problem because the user can put the data in the context of the time; the information obtained will make more sense.
Hot Searches feature: shows keywords that are “hot” in a particular country on a certain day. It shows the total number of searches, keyword popularity.
Top Charts feature: showcasing the popularity of keywords by categories such as sports, tourism, etc. You will see how many rankings the keyword has increased or decreased compared to the previous month, which keywords appear, of course, there are also illustrations.
Tracking Search Traffic: With Google Trends, you can track the increase and decrease of search index for each keyword searched by users on Google. Support to define search volume by country, city, language, timeline.
Comparing Words: If you are looking to compare and analyze two or more keywords, Google Trends will be a useful tool for you.
Catch the latest trends: The Google Trends homepage contains a wealth of information about the different trends trending worldwide. This information is especially useful for advertisers and market researchers.
Tracking Marketing Performance: Through statistics from Google Trends, organizations and businesses can track and measure marketing performance and consumer brand awareness of their products.
Identify the most popular regions: Google Trends can provide information about areas with high interest in keywords. Individuals, organizations, and businesses can use this information to identify potential customers and build appropriate advertising campaigns.
Choosing effective SEO keywords: To increase traffic to your website, you need a solid SEO strategy. With the help of Google Trends, it becomes easier to identify keywords that are searched frequently. Users just need to check and review them before putting them in their posts.
Competitor Analysis: Google Trends can also be used for competitor analysis. Although this is not the best analytics tool, it can still provide an overview of the search frequency of products, brands, services, etc. that other organizations and businesses are offering.
- Free keyword research tool from Google.
- Can suggest keyword trends to help researchers decide when and a group of keywords to focus on.
- Allows regional search differences, which can help you find keywords relevant to your business if your business is a local business.
- Allows the tool users to add related topics to research.
- The number of suggested keywords is small.
- Many suggested keywords do not match the original search term or topic.
2. Social Mention
Social Mention is a very popular tool in the marketing world, capable of tracking and analyzing competitors’ social networks. It is considered as one of the most in-depth measurement tools for social media engagement and spread.
Social Mention helps keep track of 100+ different community websites. This is possibly one of the most in-depth measurement tools for social media engagement and spread by four metrics: Strength, Sentiment, Passion, and Reach.
SocialMention is one of the best free Social Monitoring tools out there. Using SocialMention is very simple; users just need to enter keywords to evaluate and press the “Search” button. The tool will automatically retrieve online content from hundreds of social networks, then return a list of content containing that keyword and analysis results of Sentiment, Top Keywords, and Top Users.
- Update email reports and filters on feeds and content types to help users quickly categorize and identify relevant results.
- Continuous data updates within 24 hours.
- Allows businesses to customize reports based on their own needs.
- Allows businesses to find related keywords quickly.
- Let users add the chosen influencers to a separate list.
- The installation is very simple.
- Ability to collect information and analyze social networks through 4 indicators.
- Show the top keyword mentioned around the keyword, top users who are active with the keyword, and its source.
- Does not support many languages.
- The display interface of this same company is also a bit dry; many charts and data are quite difficult to see and track.
Quora is an online social network where everyone is allowed to post questions and receive responses accordingly. Quora is currently the largest Q&A website in the world and voted by users as one of ten websites that cannot help but know if they want to practice intelligence. In other words, Quora is like a social network similar to Facebook, but it will be the place to share instant knowledge from the community.
Here, you might wonder why it is on this list?
Walking around Quora, you will encounter thousands of questions, and isn’t that thousands of insights to exploit?
When creating a Quora account, you will choose the topics that interest you. When there are questions and answers on those topics, you will receive a notification. You will get to know your target audience’s burning problems and at the same time know what solution is most valuable to them (as Quora ranks responses based on votes).
Market research on Quora will help you touch the “pain” of your target audience. Review and address them with your marketing plan, especially when creating content.
Also, sometimes instead of doing blog post content, consider whether you can turn it into an answer on Quora. This will help your content increase reach and reach.
- Ask questions to get helpful answers from everyone
- Answer questions and share your information and knowledge.
- Allows users to answer questions with text, photos, links, and videos.
- Create posts easily.
- Follow people to get information faster.
- Search for articles and customers by name.
- Notify you of hot news regularly.
- FAQs on a variety of topics.
- Has moderation, the ability to follow people, request real names, and blogs/news.
- Allow the rating of the answers to increase your reputation.
- Allows answers that can be very long and include images, italics, bold, listing, and sourcing.
- The answers tend to be more professional and well written
- Quoran Questions must be 250 characters or less and cannot contain details, only links.
- There is no a category on the subject where you have to use the search bar to find information.
Statista consolidates statistical information from more than 22,500 outlets on over 80,000 topics and makes it accessible on four platforms: English, German, Spanish, and French.
The website synthesizes research content and presents these results into suitable charts, convenient to use in reports. The information covers nearly all sectors and can be filtered by year, region, or country. Most of the information is obtained from official sources, but there is some data from independent research sources so the level of accuracy is relative. Some information is shared FREE, but some information requires a fee to be accessed.
- Collect data about markets, customers, and competitors.
- Create a custom run, infographics, video, and publications in its clients’ corporate style.
- Gives you insights into comprehensive sales statistics from 20,000 online shops around the world.
- Has market outlooks that provide you with market trends, estimates, and other indicators for the digital economy, main consumer markets, and related automotive markets.
- Is software that supports general statistics and detailed information.
- A premium service provider with many services and tools to help you perform better market research.
- Provide you with relative statistics about your market.
- There is a large variety of graphs and charts in different regions and markets.
- The free version has limited features. To have more, you need a premium account.
5. Google Analytics
Google Analytics is a website analytics tool provided free of charge by Google that helps webmasters have insight into their website performance through the statistical functions.
This is a very necessary tool to administer the Website because in addition to the statistics of visits, visitors, what browser they use, access from desktop, mobile or tablet devices, access your Website from search sources. , social media, or from other websites, and many other useful features.
It is also a free SEO tool from the Google house, helping to analyze the activity metrics on a website most clearly. Besides, it also allows us to create detailed statistics about visitors who have visited a website.
It is a product used by marketers in the Internet world to oppose webmasters and technical circles, while the web analytics industry is evolving. With the desire of Google to bring perfection, thrive, help website managers have a better overview of the current situation. Today’s marketers will always need to use Google analytics to control, measure, and optimize the results of digital marketing.
- Set up a custom dashboard to get the necessary figures.
- Provide Advanced Segment to analyze each specific campaign.
- Dividing data based on the characteristics of users visiting the website, including age, location, interests …
- Keep track of the pages on the website that users often visit, the keywords that users search lead to your website.
- Provide Funnel Visualization feature, help you understand which purchase steps on the website cause users to exit the page. Statistics of the total revenue that your website has achieved.
- Providing Multi-Channel Funnels feature that helps you to understand the source of accessing your website (social media, search, website type by the user, other websites, etc.)
- The function of comparing the activeness of marketing channels for a website with Model Comparision.
- Make smarter marketing decisions through your data.
- Analytics is designed to work seamlessly with other Google partner products and solutions, saving your time and increasing efficiency.
Increase Visibility: Google Analytics acts as a storefront for all of your website data. Not only does it allow you to view your website’s performance across different time ranges, but also compares the performance of different channels, platforms, technologies, demographics, and campaigns in one place!
Free: Google Analytics is free so everyone can use it. Sadly, however, this has a limit. When your site exceeds 5 million impressions per month, you pay Google Analytics a whopping $ 150,000 per year. While that may seem like a lot of money, this is aimed at large corporations, not small and medium businesses. Also, when your website hits 5 million impressions per month, there is an assumption that you can meet this cost requirement.
Can be used across devices: Google Analytics is not limited to desktop devices only. You can open the tools on any device like a mobile phone or tablet as long as it has an internet connection. Perfect for business owners on the go who want to browse their accounts or need to access their account in the event of an accounting failure.
And there are other great benefits that can be mentioned:
- Data visualization tools include dashboards, motion charts, display changes in data over time.
- Analyze and track conversion rates.
- Easily export report files
- Share user administration with many different emails
- Integration with other Google products, such as AdWords, Public Data Explorer, and Website Optimizer.
- Limitations: Although Google Analytics provides a rich amount of information about your website’s performance, it is still a bit limited. For example, a Google Analytics account has a much higher crawl limit, more product integration and data import options, and improved reporting just to name a few.
- Not quite independent: Google’s Analytics engine is arguably the most reliable and accurate, however, technically it’s still Google’s reporting on Google’s performance, rendering it incomplete. independence. For example, when looking at organic traffic in the Conversions report, this is Google’s report on how effectively Google’s search engines drove users to the site. While this doesn’t show shiny, golden performance every time, its validity is a questionable issue.
- It’s complicated: Google Analytics can be confusing and overwhelming for new users. To understand all the intricacies of it, you need to learn. The problem with this is that it can be quite time consuming to sit through training, practice the tool, and get used to the information. So if you have a timeframe, it might not be feasible.
- Confidence is doubtful: Google Analytics is known to report things inaccurately. For example, when using the default channel group setting in conversion reports, you’ll often see traffic being reported to the wrong source, such as social traffic appearing as referrals. This skewed the data makes the data less accurate and therefore less reliable. Likewise, spam and bot traffic are often reported in Google Analytics causing the same issue. Another annoyance with inaccurate reporting is that it cannot be deleted, so when you analyze and review data for that particular date range in the future, the data will be inaccurate.
SurveyMonkey, is a popular online survey tool used to gather opinions from people like your website visitors.
SurveyMonkey comes with a number of pre-made templates and pre-written survey questions by experts to help you build a survey for web, email, or social. It allows you to create only 1 type of form: an online survey. SurveyMonkey’s interface is very user-friendly. At first glance, it seems easy to use but it takes a few clicks to figure out how to add a question, add a form field, and make it look the way you want it to.
Just a free Basic account, you will be provided with the most essential functions. Users are limited to 10 questions and 100 responses but can still freely choose the type of question they want. You can also choose from several formats to publish questions such as link format, email, small window to include in the website, etc. Results are provided for a period of 7 days for USD 3 per completed survey or for 3 days for USD 5 per completed survey and all responses are kept strictly confidential.
- Provides a number of additional features to improve your online forms including file uploads, questions with customized feedback, and more.
- Provide the ability to accept payments
- A / B testing
- Provide basic sample designs.
- Ensure your survey looks amazing on any device.
- Provide you with a quick start using copy and paste.
- Allow you to upload question files to expand your survey’s uses.
- Use the mobile-friendly, engaging slider, and star rating questions.
- User-friendly and provides helpful instructions.
- Allows you to send mail to a large number of participants at the same time.
- Facebook-friendly and gives providers a direct link.
- The free version has limited features. To have more, you need a premium account.
7. Google Keyword Planner
Google Keyword Planner supports advertisers to research the keywords most searched for by users, helping them decide on SEO strategies, and Google Adwords advertising in a more reasonable way. Almost 95% of advertisers today use this tool because of the credibility and effectiveness that GG Keyword Planner can bring to the advertising effectiveness of businesses.
Google Keyword Planner allows users to grasp the number of users in the world searching for a certain keyword in a month. In addition, it also shows how difficult and competitive these types of keywords are to help you decide whether to invest in this keyword or not. From there, advertisers can more accurately plan costs based on keywords that they believe can run effective ads with the lowest cost.
With Google Keyword Planner you have 2 features to get started: Find Keywords and Get search volume and Forecasts:
If you want to find potential keywords for your website or expand a new keyword capital based on existing keywords, or want to explore new keyword ideas, start with the Find Keywords feature.
Do you own a list of main keywords, related keywords? You want to know metrics like the search volume, CTR, or the CPC of keywords in your online marketing campaign? Now the Get search volume and forecasts feature is an ideal feature for you.
In addition, this tool also has a number of other features such as:
- Choose a keyword approach for ad campaigns.
- Select a keyword or a group of keywords to add to the ad campaign.
- Predict the total cost for a particular ad campaign.
- Download keyword analysis data to your device.
- Provide a lot of predictive information about keyword performance to users.
- As a mainstream keyword research tool from Google
- Data on keywords and direct Google search volume
- There is important information relevant to both SEO and Google Ads advertising
- Allows keyword research based on search term and URL
- Can research up to 10 search terms or URLs at the same time
- Easy to use.
- Users can view keyword data in more regions; like country, province, or more specifically a city. The tool also has the function of suggesting an appropriate keyword for the ad group, which is designed for PPC focus.
- Good keyword optimization for paid advertising campaigns.
- Combining keywords together to form new keywords to improve search efficiency.
- In order to have keyword parameters, your account details must have ad-running activity.
- Some industries currently have no keyword suggestions.
- The ability to access less data than the previous tool, leaving only accurate data, instead of before, there were 3 match types: broad, phrase, and exact.
- Average searches in a month are calculated for an average of 12 months, to see details each month can hover on the graph icon (used for determining the correct trend of new search).
- The related queries option has been removed. However, Google has said that it will add this functionality back.
- No data are available for 2 mobile and desktop versions.
- Local and global data is not available to display at the same time.
The Crayon is a tool that lets you record, interpret, and act on everything that happens beyond your company’s four walls. Crayon, drawing from millions of outlets, offers you the most detailed and up-to-date knowledge about your competition.
The Crayon is an ideal place for your distribution, product, marketing, and executive teams while you strive to develop your strategy and conquer the business.
- Tracks more than 100 types of data across hundreds of millions of sources.
- The intelligence layer combines artificial and human intelligence.
- Enable real-time, actionable insights into the sales, product, marketing, and executive teams.
- Identify and analyze market trends.
- Capture every move that your competitors make.
- Using a curated and organized view to filter out the noise and surface main signals.
- Increase deals and drive business impact.
This tool is extremely powerful, however, the amount of content it retrieves can become overwhelming. This can cause you to spend too much time refining it if you don’t know what kind of information you’re looking for.
Keyhole is an online monitoring platform that helps you discover extremely important information such as discussions, customer sentiment for your brand and your competitors’ brands; current prevailing trends; data in real-time; Campaign performance data through different metrics. It also allows you to easily gauge the impact of brand influencers and connect with people with a voice in your industry.
Dubbed a “2 in 1” communication tool, Keyhole allows marketers to automate posts and follow keywords/hashtags on Twitter and Instagram - 2 popular social networks today. This tool also supports keyword analysis, mentioning a map showing each area. Keyhole is suitable for businesses that need strong data volume analysis in many respects.
Campaign Tracking: Track activities around your campaign including posts, users, and impressions.
- Real-time insights: Using real-time insight to help you quickly adjust your campaign to get the best results.
- Compare With Competitors: You can compare your strategic performance with those of your competitors.
- Look for the most influential users discuss your keywords and hashtag, then engage them.
- The price is clear and reasonable.
- Good customer reviews.
- Historical data are available.
- Influencer management features.
- API access.
- Secure https site.
- Maybe too expensive and advanced for some.
- The Keyhole actual tool is slightly different from the free trial version.
Recently, Hubspot introduced a new tool called Make My Persona to help you get to know your business’s target customers.
Make My Persona is a web tool that helps create a detailed record of your ideal business customer after they have answered a set of pre-designed questions, or Persona. This free tool guides you through strategic questions designed to help you stay organized and better understand your buyer research. Once completed, you are presented with fully customizable customer documentation that highlights important details about your target audience. This is a useful tool to help marketers get a strategy that suits each Persona’s preferences.
- Allow you to organize your customer data into a customizable buyer profile.
- Provide tutorials to help you understand the buyers’ personalities, how to conduct research, surveys, interviews, and how to use data to draw your customer portrait.
- Easy to use
- Collect and analyze customer data.
- Allows you to customize the look and format of your target customer documents.
- Give you a list of customers that match your requirements.
- Focus mainly on your customer information, not comprehensive.
11. Think With Google
Think with Google is a great app for entrepreneurs and trendsetters. Think with Google - this tool is Google’s Data library, including a lot of Data in groups and fields such as User Trends, Retail, Search, Video, and so on.
Think With Google is a feature that has long been followed by marketers through videos or reading the latest articles on future technology trends. Think With Google’s goal is to provide readers with industry insight and a chat about the digital world of the future, discover new ways to approach business and some Better way to serve customers.
In simple terms, this tool keeps you up to date with recent search results, outstanding consumer trends, and the latest market information.
- Analyze your opponents.
- Provide you with customer insights.
- Manage and measure your store performance.
- Help you find information that potential customers look for.
- Provide useful information for you to have more effective strategies.
12. Pew Research Center
Pew Research Center is an independent organization, located in Washington D.C, USA. Every month, the Center organizes polls on political issues. Every week, there are polls for people’s responses to major current events. There are also daily polls to see the community’s thoughts on everyday issues. Especially, this organization also has surveys on the media industries, hot issues in the US as well as in the world.
All survey results are posted on the organization’s official website.
The content of this website is classified according to their major research areas - such as “American Politics”, “News - Media”, “Social Trends”, “Religions”, “Internet & Technology”, “Science”, “International Attitude”. Within each area, information is presented in terms of lists of publications, lists of sub-topics, lists of datasets, and lists of experts involved in research, etc. In each publication, data of the studies are presented in charts, together with the author’s analysis. In addition, the author also stated the research method that he used.
The Pew Research Center has made the original data public in some of their studies. To access this database, you need to register for an account on the website.
- Provides a lot of useful data that you can’t find elsewhere.
- In order to exploit information on this website effectively, you need to use it with caution and purpose.
- Marketing vs Advertising: The Differences & Similarities
- How to choose the right Market development strategy
- Best Guide to Do Amazon Product Research
Above are 12 tools to help Marketer best market survey to create a basis for the company’s strategies. In addition, with each tool, users will have different customization features, suitable for each demand. Therefore, marketers must consider carefully to be able to make the final decision to use the right tool.
I hope that this general article will bring you useful tools to better assist you in collecting information and data to serve in self-study for your plan and strategy.