Shopify POS Go Review: The Ultimate All-In-One POS Handheld Device
In this review, we will break down the features of Shopify POS Go and go into detail about how it will benefit Shopify merchants.
Shopify Pos Go: Key Takeaways
- Shopify POS Go is an all-in-one handheld device that comes preinstalled and optimized with Shopify’s point of sale (POS) system.
- Shopify POS Go is a perfect POS solution for any pop-up shop, mobile food truck, or retail store with limited counter space.
|Functions||Built-in barcode reader & card reader|
|Processor||High-performance Qualcomm SDM 665 processor|
|Display||5.5" HD display protected by Gorilla Glass 5|
|Battery||3960 mAh battery with quick charging support|
|Connectivity||Wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac @ 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz|
Shopify POS Go: Pros and Cons
- Portable and compact design makes it easy to use on the go
- A built-in barcode scanner and card reader streamline transaction processing
- Accepts various payment types, including traditional credit card swiping, credit card taps, and chip inserts
- All transactions are processed securely through Shopify Payments, a PCI-compliant payment gateway
- Provides access to store-level reports, allowing merchants to monitor store performance
- Easy to manage inventory and process transactions directly from the device
- Quick charging battery promises all-day battery life
- Comes with a powerful Qualcomm SDM 665 processor for high-performance computing
- Only available to Shopify merchants (US-based only) who have enabled Shopify Payments
- Not compatible with Bluetooth-enabled hardware
- Optional add-ons such as the POS Go Case and external printer can increase the overall cost
- Some merchants may find the $399 price point to be expensive compared to other POS options
- Limited to Shopify’s built-in POS software and may not offer as much customization as other POS systems
Shopify POS Go: In-Depth Review
What is Shopify POS Go?
Shopify POS Go is a compact mobile POS device that encompasses the functions of a barcode scanner, card reader, and tap device combined into one small and portable design that sits comfortably in the palm of your hand.
Shopify POS Go provides Shopify merchants with full POS (point of sale) capabilities to sell their products to customers away from their physical or online stores.
What are the requirements for using Shopify POS Go?
There are some requirements to meet before using Shopify POS Go. These requirements are as follows:
- Shopify POS Go is available only to US-based merchants.
- Shopify POS Go is not compatible with Bluetooth-enabled hardware. Instead, it is compatible with PIN-enabled or Wired Lan-enabled printers (see the list of supported printers).
- To use Shopify POS Go, Shopify merchants need to enable Shopify Payments, Shopify’s integrated payment processing, on their online store.
Pricing & Fees
The Shopify POS Go is available for a one-time purchase of $399. However, there are fees applied to every in-person transaction made through debit and credit cards - starting at 2.7% + 0¢ depending on your current Shopify pricing plan.
There are some additional add-ons that you should consider when purchasing the Shopify POS Go, which can increase the price slightly.
- POS Go Case - $39 + tax
- External printer (optional)
Where to Purchase Shopify POS Go?
You can purchase the Shopify POS Go from the Shopify Hardware Store. This dedicated store offers a great variety of POS equipment in various territories, including the US, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, and the UK.
If you are based outside a supported territory, you will need to buy POS hardware from an authorized reseller.
Shopify POS Go: Main Features Breakdown
Ease of Use
Shopify POS Go is specifically designed to be user-friendly and easy to use. It is a plug-and-play device that comes fully loaded with Shopify POS software. This means that Shopify merchants can easily connect their Shopify accounts, start selling in person, and accept payments from anywhere.
Selling Across multiple channels
Shopify POS Go supports multi-channel selling. As part of the Shopify ecosystem, the POS Go device can seamlessly integrate with your Shopify account, allowing you to manage your inventory and sales data across multiple channels, including online, in-person, and social media.
Multi-Payment Options Support
Shopify POS Go supports various payment options, including traditional credit card swiping, credit card taps, and chip inserts. This makes sure your customers pay using their preferred payment methods.
All transactions are processed through Shopify Payments, which ensures your checkout is secure and seamless every time.
Pay Anywhere on the Go
Shopify POS Go sports an ultra-thin design with a built-in 1D/2D barcode scanner and card reader, making it easy to accept customers’ payments on the go. You simply add items to a customer’s cart and accept tap, chip, and swipe payments without needing a separate card reader or scan gun.
Seamless checkout experience
Shopify POS Go is packed with a 3960 mAh battery with quick charging support, promising all-day battery life. This ensures that you can use the device for extended periods without worrying about the battery running out of power.
Under the hood, the POS Go handheld device features a Qualcomm SDM 665 processor, ensuring smooth and efficient computing throughout the day of sales. This powerful processor allows you to handle multiple tasks and transactions at the same time without experiencing any lag or slowdowns.
Manage Your Shopify Store From the Palm of Your Hand
With Shopify POS Go, you can manage your entire online store from the convenience of your hand-held device.
With a single scan using the built-in barcode scanner of Shopify POS Go, you can quickly look up product details and customer profiles, check order history and inventory availability, and provide product pricing.
Also, Shopify store owners can access store-level reports directly from the device to monitor daily net sales, check order values, and view the number of items per order.
How to Get Started with Shopify POS Go
Start a Shopify free trial
To get started with Shopify POS Go, you can sign up for a Shopify free trial, which lasts for three days. This Shopify trial is available for new Shopify merchants or merchants switching from a different platform.
Once you have signed up for the trial, you can access the Shopify POS software and begin setting up your store. From there, you can connect your Shopify account to the Shopify POS Go device.
If you are already a Shopify merchant, simply sign into your Shopify account, and the POS Go will sync your store’s data over Wi-Fi.
How to Set Up the POS Go
Setting up the POS Go is very simple. Here are the steps to follow:
- Charge the POS Go device and power it on by pressing and releasing the power button.
- Select the country where you will be using the POS Go.
- Connect the POS Go to a Wi-Fi network.
How to Process a Sale with Shopify POS Go
The steps to process a sale with the POS Go are straightforward. Here are the steps:
- Add items to the customer’s cart. From the Cart screen, hit Checkout to proceed.
- Now, allow your customer to tag, swipe, or insert their cart for checkout.
- When the transaction is complete, remove the customer’s card and choose if you want to print a receipt.
How to Scan with Shopify POS Go
The built-in barcode scanner can scan products, order receipts, or a gift card with POS Go.
Scanning products with the POS Go
To scan a product using Shopify POS Go, simply press and hold the left or right scanner button on the device and then aim the device at the barcode you wish to scan. Once the device successfully scans the barcode, the POS app will display the corresponding product information on the screen.
Scanning Order Receipts with the POS Go
To scan an order receipt using Shopify POS Go, scan the barcode on the receipt, which will trigger the order details screen. From here, you can easily view the product pricing and item details related to the order.
Scanning Gift Cards with the POS Go
With Shopify POS Go, you can quickly check a gift card’s balance by scanning the barcode. During checkout, you can select the Gift Card payment method and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the purchase using the gift card.
How Much Can You Save When Choosing Shopify POS Go?
By choosing Shopify POS Go as your point-of-sale device, you can save hundreds of dollars compared to purchasing separate card readers, barcode scanners, and other POS hardware.
4 Most Important POS Hardware to Consider
For most Shopify point-of-sale businesses, there are a few pieces of POS hardware that you will need to consider when selling in person. They are as follows:
This is the primary POS hardware device for processing all transactions when customers make purchases at your location. The terminal can come in various forms, including a desktop computer, tablet, or handheld device (Shopify POS Go).
A barcode scanner is an optical scanner used to capture and read the information contained in a barcode. At checkout, a barcode scanner helps merchants calculate how much the customer needs to pay.
Credit Card Reader
A credit card reader is vital to processing in-person transactions. When you accept customer payments via credit card, it’s important to ensure that your card reader is EMV-compliant and that all data is encrypted for security purposes.
Many POS hardware devices like Shopify POS Go can work with various receipt printers. Basically, a receipt printer allows customers to receive a physical copy of the transaction details.
In short, Shopify POS Go stands out as a versatile point-of-sale device that combines both hardware and software functions. This makes it an efficient and convenient choice for processing payments and scanning products with one device.
Who is Shopify POS Go For?
Shopify POS Go is best suited for:
- Solopreneurs with limited counter space who want to process transactions on the go.
- Small and medium Shopify businesses that are already using Shopify POS and want to upgrade to a more compact and portable POS device that comes loaded with Shopify POS software.
- Shopify merchants who want to save on hardware costs when selling in person.
Shopify POS Go: FAQs
Can Shopify POS Go be used without an internet connection?
Yes, Shopify POS Go can be used without an internet connection, but some features, such as accessing sales data and managing inventory, may be limited.
Does Shopify POS Go come with a warranty?
Yes, Shopify POS Go comes with a one-year warranty. You can extend the warranty for another year if you subscribe to Shopify POS Pro, an upgraded version of the Shopify point of sale software.
Where can I purchase Shopify POS Go?
Shopify POS Go can be purchased from the Shopify Hardware Store, which offers a variety of POS equipment in various territories, including the US, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, and the UK.
Is Shopify POS Go easy to set up?
Yes, Shopify POS Go is easy to set up and comes with pre-loaded POS software.
Can Shopify POS Go be used for multiple Shopify stores?
Yes, Shopify POS Go can be used for multiple stores as long as they are all connected to the same Shopify account.
Does Shopify POS Go offer customer support?
Yes, Shopify offers customer support for Shopify POS Go through their website, email, and phone.
Can I return Shopify POS Go if I’m not satisfied with it?
Yes, Shopify offers a 30-day return policy for Shopify POS Go.
What’s Included in the box?
The box includes:
- Shopify POS Go
- Shopify POS Go Case
- USB-C to USB-A charging cable
- Marketing Kit
Can Shopify POS Go be used with an external printer?
Yes, Shopify POS Go can be used with an external printer, but it must be a PIN-enabled or Wired Lan-enabled printer.
Can Shopify POS Go work without a Shopify account?
No, the POS Go device cannot work without a Shopify account. You will need a Shopify account and set up your Shopify store. If you switch from a different platform, you can migrate your old store to Shopify and then connect it to the POS Go device.
That concludes our review of Shopify POS Go. Shopify’s all-in-one portable POS device stands out as one of the best options available, offering a versatile and convenient solution for processing payments and scanning products with one device.