The 10 Best BigCommerce Competitors in 2021
While BigCommerce is a well-known and powerful eCommerce platform, there may be reasons to consider and examine alternatives or options when starting a new online store or migrating an existing one.
But how do you know which is the right decision for your online store?
While you’re thinking about finding the best eCommerce software to create a new online shop or migrate an existing one, please sit down and look at our article. We’ll give you a concise analysis of BigCommerce as well as 10 alternatives available for your online business together with a brief review of each.
- BigCommerce Review
- Why Alternatives may be required?
- Top 10 BigCommerce Competitors
1. What is BigCommerce?
BigCommerce is one of the most widely used hosted eCommerce software solutions nowadays, with over 95,000 live sites currently used for selling products and processing payments online. It’s an eCommerce platform that allows you to set up your own online store and begin selling right away. Their customers vary from small businesses starting up new online stores to well-known brands such as Toyota and Martha Stewart.
It includes a number of customized models to help you create an online store exactly as you want. It also provides a collection of marketing tools to help you advertise your shop until it’s up and running.
2. Advantages and why you should choose BigCommerce
1. Ability to manage your store professionally
BigCommerce has the most intuitive dashboard for handling items, orders, and returns, in addition to an easy-to-use interface. It provides advanced filtering options for your customers based on brands, categories, ratings, pricing, and other factors. You can quickly access and manage your items with features like the “Fast Search Bar.”
With BigCommerce, coping with huge numbers of customers is a convenience. The customer-centric platform enables you to classify your customers into various customer groups based on pricing, promotions, and product access, as well as curate store information specifically for each category.
Keeping the eCommerce company afloat in an increasingly competitive market is no easy task. Optimizing your store to meet the search engines’ constantly evolving algorithms has become a mission-critical phase in accelerating your eCommerce development.
BigCommerce’s best feature is that it adheres to the most recent SEO guidelines. In addition to SEO-friendly features such as auto-optimized titles and URLs, the platform also allows you to manually enter keyword-rich information in the SEO sector.
3. Mobile-friendly pre-built templates
You can select from a wide range of free and premium themes and templates. BigCommerce also guarantees that these themes will receive free updates in the future. Both of these themes are fully responsive and come in a number of categories.
According to research, poorly configured mobile pages account for more than 71% of shopping cart abandonment. However, with BigCommerce, you can optimize your shopping carts and increase your purchase rates by using these themes and templates that function on all mobile devices.
4. 24/7 Customer Support
BigCommerce has one of the friendliest customer service teams around, and they go above and beyond to make things work for you. What matters more than the attractive features is the prompt assistance you need when you need immediate assistance. BigCommerce also provides coaching, training, and instructional support for companies of all sizes in addition to these support features.
Here’s the reasons why BigCommerce’s customer service is so rewarding:
- Reduced wait times
- Dedicated professional assistance
- Enterprise customers can take advantage of expedited routing
- Support is available 24/7
5. Built-in marketing tools and analytics
The main difference between the other platforms and BigCommerce is that with other eCommerce platforms, you must incorporate third-party analytics platforms or add-on legacy tools, while with BigCommerce, it is a built-in feature.
Here are some of the salient features of the marketing and analytics enablement in BigCommerce:
- Gift vouchers can be sold
- Offer exclusive discounts at the cart level
- Generate and validate coupon codes automatically
- Create and send out email marketing campaigns
Along with these features, you have access to rich analytics, which helps you to extract actionable data-driven market insights and boost conversion rates based on performance benchmarks.
Why Alternatives may be required?
1. Annual turnover limits
The most obvious issue with BigCommerce is its cap on turnover. There is a limit on how much you can sell in a year for any regular plans. The Standard plan’s annual revenue limit is $50,000, $180,000 for the Plus plan, and $400,000 for the Pro plan.
If you exceed the maximum, you must either switch to a more expensive plan or pay an additional charge to continue using the current one. The price might be outrageous as you reach the highest plan offered “Enterprise.”
2. It may be hard-to-use
The second issue with BigCommerce is that, while their store builder is considered to be user-friendly, it is not as user-friendly as other eCommerce platforms, such as Wix. And that’s something to bear in mind if you’re considering BigCommerce.
In fact, while BigCommerce is suitable for beginners, it does necessitate some technical and support assistance from time to time. Furthermore, some aspects of the BigCommerce platform, such as the language used or some input options, can be confusing to newcomers.
3. Difficulty in language modification
The third issue of BigCommerce may tend to upset its international customers. It is because BigCommerce’s store builder and its themes are currently only available in English.
It is possible to convert the templates into another language, but this would certainly take some time and effort. Moreover, in some situations, characters that are not part of the English alphabet may cause problems. In contrast, Shopify, for example, has at least some of its models available in languages other than English.
4. Templates’ costs
The fourth potential issue with BigCommerce is the cost of their store pre-built themes. Themes can be very expensive if you want to customize your store, particularly if you want anything from the premium collection. BigCommerce’s paid templates range in price from $150 to $300, which means that higher-end templates cost a little more than at many of their rivals.
Besides, templates from the free section may be very similar in terms of functionality, features, and appearance.
Top 10 BigCommerce Competitors
Shopify development services are common these days. As the industry leader, it is unquestionably a strong BigCommerce alternative. The system is a highly successful eCommerce solution with many outstanding features. Shopify is a platform worth considering when building an online store because it is reasonably priced. Shopify can assist you not only with online shopping but also with offline retail.
It is quick and simple to set up and comes with over 100 professional, customizable themes. It also allows you to communicate with over 70 payment gateways and has mobile-responsive themes. This allows you to set up your online store in accordance with your branding without having to know how to code.
The platform contains all of the tools and features you might possibly need to create, run, and develop your company. It also helps you to sell goods in-store and specializes in offering offline retail resources, making it an excellent option for sellers seeking versatility and connectivity.
A Shopify developer could create the exact store you envision. With hosting included, you won’t have to think about the technical aspects of running and managing your storefront because the vendor can do it for you. This ensures that the server is consistently and safely updated with the most recent edition.
- Provide a wide range of beautiful storefront themes
- Enable you to automate different tasks with over 1200 applications and plugins available
- Offers you with marketing tools that help to boost SEO, social media and simplify some tasks
- Have an incredibly dedicated support team available 24/7
- If you ask for more functionality and features, you may have to check out for other alternatives
- Limited number of free templates
- The use of these additional applications will cost you money
- Support phone numbers are for the US, UK, New Zealand, and Australia only
Aside from the standard eCommerce features, CoreCommerce offers a number of useful extras such as a large number of third-party integrations, built-in multilingual capability, and so on. These all contribute to make it an acceptable alternative. We are maximizing the use of our powerful resources, powering the company.
In a unique and beautiful user interface, the comprehensive administration dashboard effortlessly combines and optimizes bests business and third-class customer-focused resources, making payments quick and easy while engaging customers all along the buying journey.
- User-friendly with no complex process tools
- There is a 256-bit encryption shared SSL, advanced firewall security, and secure hosting
- Stores can be set up and running in hours thanks to a range of tutorials and step-by-step tools in place
- Support options available such as free telephone, live chat and an online forum
- Cost is relatively high compared to others
- Fall short in terms of quality models compared to others, such as BigCommerce
- Limited number of themes, and these themes are not as feasible and attractive as those of others
- The SEO optimization is a little substandard
Another viable option to BigCommerce is WooCommerce. It is a very special eCommerce platform that can turn WordPress sites into eCommerce websites. It is still a good choice if you want to create an online store from scratch.
As an open-source shopping cart solution, this platform enables online brands to create and personalize their pages, manage all aspects of operations effectively on a single platform, and drive sales while keeping cart abandonment to a minimum.
It allows the management of multiple stores and all aspects of their respective operations from a single platform, providing complete control of the company at any time and from any location without the need to open multiple solutions. It also provides a range of models that are intended to provide consumers with a positive experience while increasing conversion rates.
Aside from the default features, it includes hundreds of extensions for adding additional features and functionalities to your shop. If you have any problems with your shop, you can always request assistance from agents and user groups all over the world.
- A vast repository of free, paid, and freemium extensions to bolster your webhosting functionality
- Customizable, free content plugins have all of the features required by default
- Extension can be built alongside most third-party or WordPress core themes
- Wonderful news for SEO, as it’s available as open-source software
- This open-source facility gives you access to more gateways, including some smaller ones. WooCommerce had already won a fee in using them
- WooCommerce is actually a plugin that must be built on the WordPress.com website, so you should be fine using the WordPress.com website creator and buying the most expensive service package
- Selecting all the WooCommerce extensions will cost you a lot of money
- While WooCommerce offers only 14 templates, and just two of them are absolutely free
- Abandoned shopping cart recovery is not sponsored
Wix is an additional excellent eCommerce software solution for creating an online shop. It is best known as a website creator, but it can also be used to launch an eCommerce shop.
Wix is a popular cloud-based web development platform among individuals and small businesses. It provides a free service, but only the premium or VIP premium plan allows you access to its online store solution. Selling and handling your online goods with a customizable and beautiful storefront is a snap with this platform.
The store manager allows you to keep track of orders and handle inventory efficiently. You could create collections that represent your items individually, or you could categorize them in product pages that you could design based on your branding. It also supports a variety of payment types, allows for global shipping control, establishes customized tax rules, and provides promotions, discounts, and exclusive deals, among other things.
Its best aspect is that it allows you to highlight your items and variations in a visually appealing manner. This is one of the best eCommerce tech solutions available in terms of customization and design. It can also be used to launch your own blog.
- Wix is a user-friendly tool with a budget-friendly price. There is a free edition too.
- Modern, sleek templates are provided in several industry-specific categories, such as corporate gyms, graphic design, personal portfolios, and so on.
- Any feature the designer is able to put in the website’s built-in page editor is highly versatile.
- Ecommerce, social media, and search engine features built-in
- Website data backup is scheduled and automated
- Very wide app marketplace where you can grow your website with more features
- Wix isn’t the least expensive. For less capital, you can look into Wix competitors
- Once you chose your website initial themes, you cannot change them afterward
- Wix was not designed to build global retailers, and it wouldn’t be able to handle multiple currencies
- Slower loading speed compared to others
Magento is flexible and ranges from small business to large enterprise. Unlike the alternatives on this list, however, technical expertise is needed to use Magento. Magento is not for a newbie with no prior experience. If you understand web design fundamentals, it is a very capable eCommerce platform that fits your needs.
Magento is considered the most user-friendly platform of all. Aside from a multitude of features, the open-source platform provides consumers with unrivaled versatility for content management, accessibility, and the appearance of an eCommerce shop.
With 260,000+ companies using Magento, it’s not hard to understand why. Magento’s wide range of features and their tremendous flexibility make it an excellent forum for resourceful merchants. The platform serves as the ultimate solution, including a high-security scale and an awesome workspace.
- Magento is indeed flexible
- It offers a number of features that others lack
- Magento has a large community of users because it is one of the most commonly-used eCommerce platforms in the world
- Magento is mobile friendly because it helps you to easily build a mobile site and provide the best mobile browsing experience to your customers
- The Open-source Magento (Magento community edition) is free
- The Enterprise version of Magento may cost you money
- Slow loading time
- Bad support
- Require technical knowledge to use
3dcart is an excellent choice for quickly developing and operating an online store. This is an easy-to-use, feature-rich eCommerce software solution for creating an SEO-friendly online store. With its extensive feature set and collaborations with a wide variety of service providers, the solution might be able to assist you in leveraging your operations.
3dcart is highly scalable, user-friendly, and feature-rich. In fact, it has more than 50 customizable themes and more than 100 payment options, making it very useful. The best thing is that it is a more economical choice as opposed to other options. There is also a 15-day free trial to test out the features that fit your workflows and help you determine whether it is right for your brand.
All of the themes provided by 3dcart are mobile-friendly, enabling your website visitors to access it from any device. It also contains marketing resources to help you promote your online shop. Furthermore, with its marketing strategy and built-in tools for promotions, CRM, SEO, and point-of-sale, it is an end-to-end solution for any online storefront.
All of these useful features make 3dcart a valuable tool for entrepreneurs ranging from individuals, hobbyists, and small to medium-sized business owners who lack the technical expertise to set up their own online shops.
- 3dcart prices are reasonable
- They have some outstanding SEO recommendations which can ensure that your website is easily found and ranks high in Google searches.
- 3DCart includes integrated transportation that can easily integrate your store with the largest shipping companies to predict shipping costs and ship goods to their destination easily.
- Among all eCommerce sites, 3dcart has the widest selection of 100 free templates.
- Since the goods need a two-step phase before being added to the warehouse, this platform can be difficult to use
- Lacks a mobile application; editing can be difficult when on the go
- The platform is hard to navigate
Squarespace is an all-in-one website designer with a range of trendy eCommerce-focused themes. All models have built-in sales options, enabling newcomers to connect directly to their brand-new, fully-featured digital stores in minutes. You’ll enjoy a suite of inventory and product management software, as well as an easy-to-use content manager, advertising tools, and other features.
Personal ($12 per month), Business ($18 per month), Basic ($26 per month), and Advanced ($40 per month) are the four key Squarespace plans. While having some of the lowest prices in the industry, does not skimp on features.
In reality, in addition to the regular features, it also provides unique features for professionals such as musicians, bloggers, artists, and so on, making it a truly worthy BigCommerce alternative. In fact, the price includes free SSL, domain names, models, SEO, and other features. Additionally, the premium plans provide POS solutions, gift cards, e-commerce analytics, and other useful resources.
When it comes time to launch a Squarespace-built digital store, all you have to do is select a template and edit the content. CTA blocks, acquisition form, product showroom, contact details, and more are all included in the range of blocks and components. There is no need for technical knowledge or manual configuration.
Unlike other website creation software, SquareSpace allows you to upscale or downscale your brand’s website with new functionality, allowing you to monitor the layout of pages or switch the whole site to an entirely new design at any time, without the need to install extras.
- Drag-and-drop interface is suitable to create your eCommerce website
- Easily customize the design of online store without knowing how to code
- Offer 100 sophisticated templates optimized for any device
- Offer 5 different SquareSpace apps available for iOS and Android
- Experienced and active support team
- A free domain name along with purchasing an annual plan
- 24/7 support
- The displayed price is only available on a more costly annual, monthly schedule.
- The cost of renewing a domain name is $ 20, more expensive than the industry average
- The discarded shopping cart is not part of the regular plan
- Not compatible with larger websites requires deep menu hierarchy
- Low page speed
OpenCart is an open-source eCommerce platform that provides a platform for everyone to build an e-commerce website with a network of buyers. You can scale your company while remaining dedicated to running it. You can start your store at no cost, and there are no hidden fees for anything related to it.
Also, you have access to a committed group that can provide dedicated support when it comes to being good. If you are already acquainted with WordPress’s architectures, then you can master OpenCart quickly with a higher learning curve.
Additionally, it supports nearly 20 different payment types and is very scalable. Also, the script is fully free, with all software updates and support included. This script is designed to be tailored to your needs; all you have to do is download it and change it based on your preferences. This is a great tool for people who value powerful features and extensive customization.
All things considered, everything comes with its own set of advantages and disadvantages. If you are looking closer at OpenCart, keep in mind these points.
- The software is free to use
- Many third-party plugins and extensions
- The administration interface is reasonably user-friendly, making it simple for a non-technical user
- Highly versatile application in the ways it is capable of working with various payment processors and gateways
- Quickly and easily get your store up and running and running with a pre-built template
- It can be difficult to customize at times
- Marketing features are restricted, and SEO functionalities are lacking
- For non-tech savvy business owners, OpenCart is not as quick as Shopify
- Many of the available extensions have significant security vulnerabilities
- Severe drawbacks for larger stores
- Out-of-date themes/templates
Yotpo is a well-known eCommerce marketing software that assists brands in attracting new customers and increasing engagement. Through many organized and systematic features of their applications, such as feedback and ratings, loyalty and referrals, and visual marketing, Yotpo enables companies to build a good relationship with their customers.
This is an excellent eCommerce marketing software solution with features such as feedback and ratings, loyalty programs, and more. It also comes with a collection of visual marketing resources to help you make your website more attractive to visitors.
Because of the software’s simplicity, it is easier for businesses to execute marketing campaigns. Companies use it to connect with both future and current customers. Its primary aim is to help companies gain leverage and turn leads into actual customers.
Yotpo is compatible with a wide range of marketing and social media channels and hosted eCommerce platforms such as BigCommerce. It also provides you with essential consumer knowledge that you can use to make future business decisions.
- User reviews and feedback convert at a high rate.
- Connected to major e-commerce platforms and social media websites
- Notification of reviews in real-time
- Analytical powerhouse
- The user interface is simple to use
- The paid account is costly
- There is no control over how reviews appear on social media
- The API is restricted
- Customer service is subpar
This is yet another simple eCommerce software solution that you can use to launch your online store quickly. It is designed with small and medium-sized businesses in mind, and it functions as a personal eCommerce assistant to help you create and manage stunning websites. Freelancers and sole proprietors are also welcome to use the system.
It offers beautiful themes as well as eCommerce features such as adding unlimited products, payment processing, inventory management, and so on. It also consists of SEO and marketing tools to help you promote your store and increase traffic. It also includes a CRM system that you can use to your advantage.
Their analytical tools are outstanding. You can conduct a search term analysis to learn what your customers are looking for online and tailor your products to appear in their searches. This is extremely beneficial.
One of Volution’s special points is that they try to make everything symbolic of reducing the burden of learning the editor. Their systems are easy on the eyes, so you should have no trouble adapting if you are a visual learner.
- Provide a plethora of payment gateways, allowing you to sell to niche and regional markets via their preferred local gateway
- Offer SEO and analytics tools that assist you in marketing and editing your store
- Mobile app version available, allowing you to edit your store from anywhere
- No transaction fees
- No blog integration
- No email support and phone support is only available from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. GMT.
- Templates are expensive and limited in stock. They offer 11 free templates but have fewer than 50 total samples.
The platforms mentioned above are excellent alternatives to BigCommerce. These are some of the most effective ecommerce software solutions on the market today.
After reading our article, we hope that if you still want to find another solution for your online store instead of BigCommerce, you can find one among this list. You can either go with a well-known, tried-and-true option like Shopify or Wix, or try any of these ten alternatives, which all have a lot to offer. Determine which options best meet your needs and then make an informed decision.